Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Labor Day!

Well, thanks to Hurricane Gustav we're back in Birmingham for Labor Day. We were happily spending the weekend in Gulf Shores until a mandatory evacuation for everyone south of Ft. Morgan Road early on Sunday morning. So along with the rest of the population we made the trek north for 6 hours! With a baby that's nothing to laugh about. She wasn't happy to be in the car or at least in her carseat. But that's the end of the story, so I'll start at the beginning.

John and I decided to head to the beach because he had Friday and Monday off from school and we could go for a long weekend. He didn't really want to go, not with the first football games of the season starting and no HD TV in sight, so I bribed him with a new Polo shirt, Mellow Mushroom pizza/beer, plans with our friends Matt and Sally, and of course, a very happy wife. The trip down was nothing short of a disaster. No sooner had we gotten on the interstate when we got stopped in traffic due to a wreck and Isabella started crying. I was sure that was the end of the trip, but we continued. Isabella didn't want to cooperate with my plans for a peaceful ride to the beach because she slept no more than 10 minutes of the 4 hour trip, and she screamed until she was very red in the face for the last 30 minutes. She screamed so hard I worried that she might not be able to breathe. But finally we got to the condo with pizza and beer (for John) in hand, and all was well. Football was on, Isabella was finally happy and everyone was tired. We went to bed and let me just say... this was the best night's sleep I've gotten in 2 months. Isabella slept for 5 hours, woke for 30 minutes and went back to sleep for 3 1/2 more hours. I woke up on my own and realized that I actually felt great. I have this picture of Isabella still sleeping to prove it!




John and my dad went to play golf all morning on Friday while Isabella and I went shopping. We had dinner that night with my dad's cousins Lonny and Cathy. Isabella and Cathy really hit it off.















On Saturday, we spent the day with our friends, Matt and Sally and their little girl, Hannah Cate. Isabella and Hannah Cate really had a great time together. Here are a some pictures of them together and John and Isabella watching football earlier that morning.

Hannah Cate and Isabella

John and Isabella intently watching football


Later that day we met my dad and his girlfriend, Karen, for dinner where we watched the beginning of the Auburn game. War Eagle! But then had to get back to our condo for the Alabama game... the consequences of a mixed marriage. The next morning we awoke to the excitement of a mandatory evacuation and 6 looong hours later we arrived back in Birmingham.


dad and Karen

Isabella happily playing on the bed


surprised by kisses from daddy

me and my sweetheart

0 comments: