Monday, July 21, 2008

3 weeks old

Today Isabella saw the pediatrician for a checkup, and I'm pleased to announce that she did very well. He gave her a great report, pronouncing her as a very healthy little girl. She now weighs 8 lbs. 4 oz. and is 21 inches long. She's gained an ounce a day since her last visit, which really pleased the doctor. I told him that she's been fussy and gassy lately, and the doctor recommended that I cut dairy products from my diet to see if it helps. I love dairy, especially milk and ice cream, so this won't be fun for me. I'd do anything, though, to keep her from having an upset stomach. I hate seeing her cry.

I think the most popular question I get centers around how she's sleeping. She's doing alright, but I'm up with her every other hour to feed her and change her and then get her back to sleep. So, I'm not getting many hours in a row. Somehow, I'm still able to function though. I guess I'm adjusting. I'm being proactive though... the doctor, among others, has recommended a book called "The happiest baby on the block" which is supposed to have helpful advice on getting your baby to sleep longer hours. I'm sure a lot of it will come as she gets older, but I'm going .

I'm also ready to start getting out of the house with her. We've been advised to keep her out of public places for 4-6 weeks (to keep her from getting sick.) I'm getting a little stir crazy though, so we may start running short errands to break up the monotony of the day.

Our favorite part of the day is getting out on our patio and swinging together. Isabella and I just love the peace of being outside together. She looks all around and I just enjoy holding her.

John and I've been very blessed with this sweet little baby. We're so excited to see her grow and change. She's already grown so much and I'm a little sad to see her getting bigger, but also excited to see what she's going to be like as she grows up.

Getting her new measurements gave me the idea to play dress up with some of the clothes she's can now fit into.
This is Isabella in a dress that her Aunt Lauren and Uncle Cody gave her, sitting by her duck that they gave her the day she was born. This is Isabella and Tommy (John's favorite teddy bear when he was little, which he is giving to Isabella now.) and she's wearing a sundress her daddy picked out. And this is the bonnet that goes with it, which is obviously way too big for her right now. Maybe she'll grow into it before she grows out of the dress!

3 comments:

Bowerman Blessed said...

Isabella is beautiful and I am so excited for you. I look forward to seeing more pictures and reading about what your life is like now with a new baby. Congratulations!

Mary said...

We loved "the happiest baby on the block". It took a little practice, but it worked like a charm to calm down fletch. Isabella is so adorable!!

Lauren said...

She's so cute in her pretty dresses!! I can't wait to see her Friday! Give her a kiss for me and tell her Aunt Lauren misses her! I miss you too!